HOUSE & HOME           MIND           FINANCE           TRAVEL         CONTACT

July 19, 2016

TRAVEL: My Minimalist Basics for Summer Vacations and Other Travel Adventures

 
As someone who lives with less, traveling light is still a concern for me. I took a weekend trip earlier this month and learned that even the few things that I'd packed in a backpack were still more than I really needed (or wanted to lug around) for the short time I was away from home.

With just a few weeks of summer left here, my family is gearing up for a week-long road trip and each of us is planning to pack like a pro using some of the lessons I learned on my recent weekend away. Did I really need three tank tops and two t-shirts in case I changed my mind about what I wanted to wear? No, I just needed to make sure everything was comfortable, flattering, and could mix and match.

This time, it's just the necessities--no frills--in one small bag per person.

Since the trip will be taking us to several different places, we'll need to make sure we're equipped for lots of city walking, some rural outdoor activities, a nice dinner out, and a short stay at the beach. Here's what we'll each be taking:

  • 2 shorts
  • 2 shirts
  • 1 dress (or dress shirt)
  • 1 swimsuit
  • pajamas
  • underwear
  • 1 pair of sandals
  • 1 pair of athletic shoes
  • 1 pair of socks
  • castile soap
  • sunscreen
  • towel

If you already live with a capsule wardrobe, paring down to this level for packing is probably much easier than if you don't. I don't have a curated capsule wardrobe, but I've found that packing neutral (AKA easily-coordinating) colors makes the task a simple one. Keep in mind that you'll have one outfit on your body and the other(s) in your bag for the majority of the trip.

Since we'll be traveling for a week and we live in the hot and humid southern United States, we're planning on making a stop at a laundromat about halfway through the trip.

Are you planning any adventures this season? What kinds of things are you doing to lighten your suitcase?

No comments:

Post a Comment