HOUSE & HOME           MIND           FINANCE           TRAVEL         CONTACT

December 27, 2015

HOME: Minimalism Is Not Just Black and White



When you ask most people what image comes to mind when you say the word minimalism, they will quickly describe to you a stark white room with little or no items inside of it, much like an art gallery in the 1980s and '90s or a surreal futuristic scene from a sci-fi film. If they do describe any decor, it's usually white on white or some other stark black and white palette.

Well, I'm here to tell you that minimalism comes in every color of the rainbow!

Thankfully, there is no set of rules when it comes to what constitutes minimal living for each individual. The items that I need to live my daily life may not fit in a backpack, but yours might. You may need a car to commute to work because jobs in your area are far from affordable living space and there is no public transportation, while I might ride a bike only a few miles to my job each day.

We can both lead minimalist lifestyles, but chances are that they will look very different from one another.

The same goes for our choice of clothing and living accommodations. I love bright and shocking combinations of colors in both my wardrobe and on my walls. I turn the saturation up to eleven and it brings me great joy, but I still own only the things that I dearly love and truly need.

If black and white is your thing, then by all means go for it. The sense of calmness or openness that comes from an all-white interior is a very attractive thing, and it may be your idea of the perfect home.

What I'm asking, though, is that you don't get pulled into a trap of believing that you're not really a minimalist if you live with color.

Minimalism is about efficiency, clear thinking, an appreciation of what you have, and intentional living. Since this ideology has no strict dress code, embrace the freedom of choice and paint your world in whatever colors bring you happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment